New address and Grammar

Just a note to any listees who might want to send personal messages to
me:

After about 4:00 today, my walkerl at cray_com will be null and void. You
can reach me instead at gardenweasel at geocities_com, which will forward
my mail to my internet address.

Okay, I'll post this and then I promise that I won't write about style
to the whole list for a very long time!!

Chris Emery wrote:

> Rule of thumb: proper names containing multiple words should start all
> the words with a capital.   Examples: Book titles, movie titles, band
> names.

Rule of style: "In regular title capitalization, also known as headline
style, the first and last words and all nouns, pronouns, adjectives,
verbs, adverbs, and subordinating conjunctions (if, because, as, that,
etc.) are capitalized. Articles (a, an, the), coordinating conjunctions
(and, but, or, for, nor), and prepositions, regardless of length, are
lowercased unless they are the first or last word of the title or
subtitle...." - Chicago Manual of Style 7.127

BUT...in this era, style rules are made to be broken.

_Till We Have Faces_ reads, "Over _the_ Rhine"
_Patience_ reads, "Over _The_ Rhine"

So maybe OTR likes the small t and IRS likes the big T.

Not that it matters anyway. But I've been conditioned to care about
style.

> The exception would be if the owner of the proper name intends it to
> be otherwise.  i.e. if OTR *always* used a lowercase 't' on their CDs,
> posters, promo material, etc.

See above

> And I wasn't even an English major!   ;-)

Yeah, we can tell. ;P
Just kidding.

--
Lisa Walker       office: F6419