Cinti Enquirer article (long)

Here's a transcript of something in this morning's Cincinnati Enquirer.

"Get on the Bus" Regrouped Over The Rhine rolls back into town with Cowboy
Junkies
By Larry Nager, The Cincinnati Enquirer

"We don't have to stop to go to the bathroom anymore!"

For Over The Rhine's Linford Detweiler, that's one measure of music
business success, as the old band van has been replaced by a fully equipped
tour bus.

Over The Rhine -- Mr. Detweiler, Karin Bergquist, Terri Templeton, Jack
Henderson and Brian Kelley -- has been touring with the Cowboy Junkies,
opening shows and returning to augment the four-member Junkies.

Last fall, Over The Rhine was in local band limbo.  The group's record
company, I.R.S., had gone out of business, they had no management and their
personnel was in flux.

By its annual Christmas show at the Emery in December, things were looking
up.  OTR had a solidified lineup, new management and national music
publishing representation.

Several months later, their new manager Peter Leak, whose clients include
the Junkies and the post-Natalie Merchant 10,000 Maniacs, proved what a
good choice he was.

The Junkies were mixing what would become their second Geffen CD, "Miles
From Our Home", when Mr. Leak gave guitarist Michael Timmins an OTR disc.

"Our manager gave me 'Good Dog Bad Dog' while we were mixing the album,"
Mr. Timmins says.  "I loved it, immediately, and I stole it off him."

The Junkies album completed, it was time to put together a road band.  The
Junkies -- Mr. Timmins and siblings Margo and Peter on vocals and drums
respectively, along with bassist Alan Anton -- augment their group for
tours.  "We were thinking how to put this thing (the new album) across
live," recalls Mr. Timmins, 39.  "We realized couldn't hire that many
musicians."

The most cost-effective way was to hire musicians for double duty,
performing as the opening act, then playing with the Junkies.

Mr. Leak though his newest clients would be perfect.  He and Mr. Timmins
flew into town for OTR's March 28 concert at Bogart's.

"They seemed to have the same sensibilities as us," says Mr. Timmins.  "We
went backstage, hung out with them, went back to their house."

OTR was added to the Junkies' summer tour, including five Lilith Fairs, as
well as national TV appearances with David Letterman and on ABC's Good
Morning America.

"There have been so many firsts," Mr. Detweiler says.  "I feel like I've
been going to school."

Bassist Mike Georgin was a recent dropout.

"He was into a lot of jazz and funk on the fretless, just a little to the
left of where we wanted to go," Mr. Detweiler says.  "It was amicable."

Nashville session musician Wade Jaynes is playing bass, as OTR moves "in a
really solid pop direction."

On tour, they discovered some high-profile OTR fans.

On their first Lilith date on Aug. 23 at Denver's Fiddler's Green, Mr.
Detweiler recalls, "Karin was hanging around backstage and Sarah
(McLachlan) came up to her and said, "I had no idea who you were."  And
Karin said, "What?"

Ms. LcLachlan told her she had a copy of "Good Dog Bad Dog" and it had
helped her through a bad case of writer's block.

She said, "'Latter Days' is one of my favorite songs.  It makes me weep,'"
Mr. Detweiler says.

But OTR isn't satisfied being Ms. McLachlan's muse.  Last spring, OTR
recorded a seven-song demo to spark major label interest.  On Oct. 5, OTR
is scheduled to showcase for record company folks at the Viper Room, Johnny
Depp's ultra-chic L.A. club.

"We'll see if any of them are willing to put their money where their mouth
is," says Mr. Detweiler with a chuckle.

Money wouldn't hurt, adds Ms. Bergquist.  On this tour, OTR has had to give
up certain luxuries.  Like hotel rooms.

Good thing that bus has a bathroom.

"You've heard of a low-budget tour?  This is no-budget," Ms. Bergquist shay
with a laugh.

'When the band plays the Taft, she'll be glad to sleep in her own bed in
the Norwood house she shares with her husband, Mr. Detweiler, and her
Weimaraner, Willow.

"I think that's the only part I miss about being on the road, not having
her around," she says.  "She's my soulmate."

Which might surprise Mr. Detweiler.

"Oh, he knows," she says with a deep laugh.