Re: responses--oh how fun this thread has been...

Kendrickjd at aol_com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/26/98 11:05:08 PM Central Daylight Time, marquis at icx_net
> writes:
>
> > and last of all, I was introduced to OTR during a time when I was
> >  seeking quality christian music. I read a review of patience in CCM
> >  magazine and the rest is history.  so no, I was not blown away by
> >  finding christian qualities in their music--at first it was just the
> >  opposite--I was like "what, this stuff is supposed to be christian?"
> >  and then the nuances set in.
>
> i will mention again (i have posted this to the list before) that CCM also
> reviewed U2's _Pop_ because of their somewhat ambiguous connection to
> christianity.

Um, I would venture to say that CCM reviewed _Pop_ because of the references to
Christ on the CD which may have strengthened or weakened their somewhat
ambiguous connection to Christianity (depending on who you talk to, I suppose).
"Mofo" and "Wake Up Dead Man" both contain the word "Jesus" in reference to the
person (rather than as an exclamation or something like that). Granted, they're
not exactly flagwaving "praise God" kinda themes... And they probably reviewed
it because of that ambiguous connection thing, too, i suppose... :)>

> and you let the subtle hints at something deeper in over the
> rhine's music strengthen your walk with god.  great, if that is what you
> believe!  for me, i can listen to an otr song and hear the same hints at
> something deeper but have it not affect me at all or have it mean something
> different.
> it's all about i-n-t-e-r-p-r-e-t-a-t-i-o-n
> jan

That it is.

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins