Reply to Lisa's Reply

>I would submit instead that they paint pictures of the many aspects of
>human thoughts and emotions, ranging from romantic love to frustration
>and anger to spirituality (and one could even say Christian
>spirituality). This - to me - differs from bands that openly raise up
>Christ in their music, like PFR, The Kry, DC Talk...... I'm not saying
>that one type of music is better or worse than the other - I just think
>they have different aims.

And what fair Lisa, would those aims be?  I would respectfully submit that
Over the Rhine's aims definitely include raising up Christ.  Bands such as
PFR, the Kry, DC Talk are much much much more obvious, yes, OTR on the
otherhand has the gift of presenting the ideas of scripture in ways that
surpass the non believer and believer alike.  It's sort of like Christianity
itself, you either hear it or you don't.  And I'm not putting down the
Christians who don't "get" less obvious lyrics, some Christians just are
raised loving straightforward messages about Christ, some are even taught to
fear any messages that aren't straightforward about Him.  But Over the Rhine
sings to christians more like themselves, uncommon.  I'm putting my soapbox
back into it's very close and reachable corner.... :]