Re: the horse's mouth

> this is funny ... nothing against the current post or anything ...
>
>  but, I find it humorous at times how this list picks apart every aspect of
> OTR and their music ... as if this list new some special secret or something
> or ... rather ... that the band had handed down in it's wisdom a secret key
> of  knowledge that let the listee's in on some insightful thoughts regarding
> songs and intentions behind songs ...
>
>  We are somewhat arrogant to disagree with the band, or the horses mouth, as
> it were.

regardless of your "no offense" sentence, i must think that this was dirceted
at me since it was in response to one of my posts.  that being said, i will
reply...
i don't think it is arrogant at all to "dig deeper" into the music of a band
that we all love.

>  I love OTR.
>  I love their music.
>  It touches me.
>  Let it touch you.
>  It's more fun when you don't pick it the hell apart.

okay, bye.  i mean, what are you on the list for? concert announcements?  try
the over-the-rhine-announce list.  i don't know about you, but i joined this
list to talk about a kick ass band with other people who felt the same way.
we have talked about some weird stuff over the years, and i don't think this
is any different.  and again, i don't know about you, but for me over the
rhine's music is not "fun"--or not _just_ fun.  songs like "poughkeepsie"
hardly fit in the same category as tubthumping.  in my opinion, there is a lot
beneath the surface of otr's music that we all will miss if we don't "pick it
apart" a little bit.  i have been in plenty of english classes where we will
dissect a partiuclar work until it seems there is nothing left, but you know
what?  the next time i read that work, i will notice things i never noticed
before.  i have NEVER said that this "lack of introduction" to songs was a bad
thing.  never.  it was just an observation.  if nothing else, i hope it
challenges people to pay a little more attention to things when they listen to
the band.  i had five people respond to me thanking me for bringing it to
their attention for that same reason--so they could listen more closely and
find some other hidden treasure for themselves, the bass line in june, the
drums on a gospel number, the lyrics to happy to be so...
it's rare that on this list you will hear someone picking apart otr's music
for the purpose of trashing it.  we might do that to each other, but not the
band.  what we're doing (to use your terms) is picking it apart for the
purpose of discovering something we may never have heard before.
(maybe it would be different if otr was a "2 albums a year" kind of band, but
since it's been a while since we had a new album, we have to talk about
something...)

jan
p.s.  how many of you wondered when i wrote the above--"what's so special
about the bass line in june, the drums on a gospel number, or the lyrics to
happy to be so?"  GO LISTEN.
jan