Re: Wade Jaynes

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Chris Emery wrote:

> Recalling the power of trains, Jason Andrew Newby
> <Jason.A.Newby at wheaton_edu> said:
>
> >This is GREAT news!  Wade Jaynes is the most tastefully melodic bass
> >player ever.
>
> That's a pretty odd thing to say.   Ever heard Tony Levin?  Chris
> Squire?  Mike Georgin?  I bet I can name 10 better melodic bass
> players.

Sure I've heard of them.  They're all capital-B Bassists.  That's the
charm of Wade Jaynes...he isn't so into his instrument that it would stick
out in the mix.  He's one of a very few bass players who concentrate
solely on how the song would best be served.  His first few live shows
will be rough, but in a few weeks he'll be a perfect fit, musically.

> >He is nothing short of incredible and  Linford made a
> >wonderful call in bringing him in, if only for a few shows.
>
> Feh.   I'm still *very* disappointed in Mike's departure.

> >Most people know him for his work with Chagall Guevara or his studio work
> >for Steve Taylor and Phil Keaggy.  The Chagall tracks were genius.
>
> Jason A. Newby, you're starting to worry me.   If his playing with
> Steve Taylor and Chagall Guevara (another Steve Taylor project) are
> any indication, then he may prove adequate.

Adequate?  He's far more than adequate.  He's a listener, which is exactly
what Linford's songs need.  Brian has always listened to the songs and
been nothing short of perfect in giving the music what it needed.  Ric
never listened, he was always too concerned with getting his licks in.  I
don't mean to say Ric isn't a great guitarist, I think he is, but he was
more concerned with how his parts sounded than how the song conveyed as a
whole.

Thanks for giving me the consideration to read and taking the time to
respond.  I'm a self-assured fascist when it comes to musical opinions so
it's fun to have them challenged by someone else who knows some good names
to drop.

Andy