Re: Re: nader/green party (political - duh)

I think it's important to point out, as is pointed out in all US 9th grade civics classes, that the United States does not have and never has had a democratic form of government. It is a republican form of government. Those of you who are American, do you remember the line from our Pledge of Allegience? "I pledge allegience to the flag and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands." Not to the Democracy for which it stands. It is also helpful to remember that until 1913, I believe (dates were never my strong suit), the House of Representatives was the only popularly elected house of Congress. Before that date, a state's senators were appointed by that state's legislature. The Electoral College is a function of a Republican form of government, and as such, usually functions with great efficiency. The problems in which close elections (1960 and 2000, for instance) went to candidates who were later determined to be the loser in the popular vote did&nb! sp;not have to do with structural or procedural problems with the Electoral College itself, per se, but with discrepencies within the popular vote which determines the make up of the Electoral College.

Angry Johnny said,

> look up democracy in any dictionary and you wont find electoral college
> in the definition.

And then Peter said,

So? Do you want the dictionary to spell out the three branches of
American government, the Parliamentary system, and everything else, too?

--- Peter T. Chattaway --------------------------- peter@chattaway.com ---

Bradley S. Caviness, Bigwig
Bigwig Enterprises

http://www.bigwigenterprises.com