Re: Re: nader/green party (political - duh)

I've been thinking recently. It used to be that a true
democracy could only be done in a very small country.
But with technology the way it is, I think it's going
to be posible for a country like America to really be
a democracy. think about it, in maybe ten years, we
could all vote by email (on everything!). I don't know
if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the
posibilty is kind of exciting.
I do have to say that it would be better than our
current system, where the President does not listen to
the people (the largest protest in history, and Bush
calls it the opinion of a "focus group).

Anyway, on the Nader thing, I kind of hope he doesn't
run. Oregon has a lot of people who will vote for him,
and it could be just enough to give the vote to Bush.
Especially since Bush wants Oregon to come back to the
dark, err ah Republican side, and is doing all he can
to accomplish this.
I myself have been tempted to vote for the Green party
this year, mainly becasue I feel like voting for Kerry
is maybe voting for the lesser of two evils (though I
probably will vote dem, I want Bush out). I'd vote for
Edwards though, anyone with that last name is ok in my
book.
--- Bethany Keeley <blk4@calvin.edu> wrote:
> I disagree.  I think the electoral college is silly
> and outdated.  What
> it does is polarize geographic areas, and it makes
> dissenters voices
> count for less.  Some areas are so overwhelmingly
> one party that the
> votes for the other party (or for an independent)
> get overwhelmed and
> have no representation in the electoral college at
> all.  This seems
> un-democratic to me, especially in the world of mass
> communication and
> global culture.
>

> quoting Peter T. Chattaway:
> >
> > When the vote's that close, you might as well flip
> a coin.  And keep
> > in
> > mind, too, that thanks to the Electoral College,
> you've never *had* a
> > "one
> > person, one vote" system.  Nor should you.  The
> Electoral College is
> > actually a *good* thing.  I mean, can you imagine
> if Gore (and Bush)
> > had
> > begun demanding recounts all across the *entire
> country*!?

=====
Century follows century, and things happen only in the present.
-Jorge Luis Borges, "The Garden of forking Paths"