RE: Re: nader/green party (political - duh)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, David Dean wrote:
> Actually because of the Electoral College, candidates must campaign in
> every state.  Based on the current population distribution in the US, a
> president chosen by popular vote would only have to campaign in a hand
> full of states (e.g. California, New York, Texas, Florida, Illinois).
> That means people in the Daktotas, Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont, etc
> would never get to see the candidates nor would their vote "count" at
> all because ti would be dilluted against the more heavier concentrations
> of population.  Candidates would spend all of their time and money in
> the heavily populated states where more that 50% f the population
> resides.  To call the electoral college "silly and out dated" is to not
> fully understand the complexity and meaning behind it.

Exactly.

> Finally, Bill Maher may be funny, and he may fashion himself as a
> political commentator; but he is not the final authority on elections,
> or politics in the country.

Oh, heck, I would never say that.  But as a writer, I do admire a good,
apt, one-sentence rebuttal to a popular myth, no matter who coins it, and
as a writer, I do believe in crediting people for their verbal creations,
as opposed to plagiarizing.  So I would be repeating that "not stolen, but
did fall off the back of a truck" line no matter *who* said it first.

--- Peter T. Chattaway --------------------------- peter@chattaway.com ---
Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee