iPod battery life

I have a 2nd gen 20GB w/ 10 hr life (vs. new 3rd gen 40GB w/ 8 hr battery life). There have been complaints about the 1st and 2nd gen batteries - you can't service them and put a new rechargeable battery in yourself. After a year, the warranty expires. Rechargeable batteries, depending on how used (charge, discharge, temperatures, chemical content) can have trouble holding charge after time.

So Apple was telling people with 18 month old iPods that held 30 minutes of charge, "wow - that's terrible - you can buy a new one!"

People got irate, there's class action suits you can sign up for still.

But Apple made a $99 extended warranty program, too much in my opinion.

They tried to break you, looks like they'll try again,