Re: off topic discussions (used to be politicking)

I would say I am mostly a lurker, coming into
converstion in waves every now and then, but having
been around for most of the list history I can
definitely say that it is much, much, much better than
when it started.  Back then there was a real concern
about people being ignored.  (Anyone recall this?  I
haven't read all of the responses to this topic, so I
don't know if anyone has brought this up yet.)

Actually, I just dug up the Ocotber 10, 2001 letter
from Lindford that addressed all of these things.

http://www.overtherhine.com/story/newsarchive/news2001.html

He says many things that address this very
conversation.  Back before then, it was really hard to
be a newbie.  We have come many miles since then.  His
main point is to remind those present that we should
all try to have love for one another which, amid many
different discussions and disagreements, this list has
done very well over the last three years.  He also
states that the purpose of this list is to bring
people from all walks together to discuss not only
music but all of these things that make us different
(and the same).  He is right when he says that the
list is not for the "faint of heart."

I hope that Eric is still here and reading.  To you I
say I don't agree with your initial comments.  You
have every right to have and state your opinions, but
before you can expect people to want to get to know
you, you have to treat them like someone who is
interested in getting to know them.  And if your only
reason for being here is to hate what we do here, then
it would be in everyone's best interest, including
yours, to find another discussion home.  Now I hope
that is not your reason for being here.  And I bet
there is a lot about you that people here would be
interested in and enjoy.  If you were to just begin
again and try to show love to us too, I bet people
here would welcome you with open arms.  (Gosh that
sounds kind of cheesy, but isn't that the way this
list goes?  Don't we feel that way about each other?)
Life on the list is give and take, but you have to
give first.  Everyone does.  I hope you will consider
staying.

That's mine,