RE: dem primary

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Montgomery, Daniel E. wrote:

> "Anybody But Bush!!"
>

> That's the kind of statement I wish we liberals simply would not make.
> I think it's the kind of thing that gives liberals a bad name.
>
> Republicans said the same thing about Clinton -- Anybody But Clinton.
>
> It makes us armchair-politicos sound petty and unconcerned about the
> issues and that the ONLY important thing is getting rid of the current
> politician in office. Is that really the platform we true liberals
> want to take?
>
> -Daniel

Well said, Daniel.  However, there is perhaps a caveat that I would apply
here.  I would say that there are _many_ Democrats that I would take over
Dubya.  And some days, I would almost say that any Democratic Presidential
Candidate is better than Bush.  Of the original nine candidates that
started out before Iowa, I would have to think awfully hard on pulling the
lever on Kucinich and Lieberman.  Probably Sharpton as well; he's much
more a grandstander to me than a politician, and we Minnesotans got plenty
of that sort of bluster from Ventura.

However, Kerry is fine in his own dour way, and I quite like the liberal
General of DOOM, Wesley Clark.  Dean acts like a rabble-rouser, but one
that actually has a few decent ideas; I'd go with him.
Mosley-Braun...what a damn pity she was pushed aside by the media
immediately.  What I've heard of her speeches made me proud to be an
American.  Gephardt was ok and I would have voted for him if need be, but
I don't think he would have won.  Which brings us to Edwards.

I've read his proposals from his website.  If you get a chance, print off
his Solutions paper from the PDF, curl up with over a lunch break, and
take a look.  He is, in a word, kickass.  And I'm hoping that I get the
privilege of voting for him in March when the Minnesota caucuses come
around.

I do want to see the rascal out.  But I'd like to see the rascal be
replaced with someone who won't neccessarily be a rascal in four years.

-Drew J

Drew Johnson - djohnson@snowplow.org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA   ^ ^
"You rock my small, self-centered world." -Diablo, goats.com       (_|_)
          http://www.livejournal.com/~monkeydance