Re: Fetch Me the Pongmaster!

On 1/16/04 7:55 AM, quoth the effervescent dtemmesfeld@eim-inc.com at
dtemmesfeld@eim-inc.com:

>1) Peter Mulvey's new album _Kitchen Radio_ comes out
>(on the internet) on February 9th... regular retail
>(or at least music shops "in the know") on March 9th.
>He's got an mp3 sample at:
>
>http://www.petermulvey.com/music.html

I just saw the man himself a few hours ago at The Point in Bryn Mawr. He
was amazing. Absofuckinglutely astonishing, not just for the torrents of
lush, spare, understated, overwhelming brilliance that came off the
stage, but for the smack upside the head that's almost humbling, and
which comes from seeing someone so bound to their work, so passionate
about it, that it makes you think-- okay, it makes ME think-- what the
hell am I doing with my life?

He's also funny as hell, and can throw a snippet of story into a song
introduction so fast that you're still laughing while he's halfway to the
chorus. And he wishes Kucinich stood a snowball's chance. I mentioned I'd
first seen him at the Emery in '96, and he lit up. "You know, my wife and
I were in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of fame, and we walked in, and there was
ther poster for that show! And there was my name!" He was quite well
chuffed.

Guitarist David Goodrich-- Goody-- is with him again/still, and he's a
class unto himself. As astonished as I was with Paul Moak, that's how
astonished I am with Goody, and I've seen him several times. A friend of
mine compared him to Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Goody won. They're doing
songs from all of Peter's albums, as well as unreleased stuff, and
covers. His next album is out in three weeks, then he's got a DVD coming
out, then maybe another album and another DVD. We talked for a few
minutes about how he thinks the emphasis in the music business is all
wrong-- that you do one album, promote the hell out of it, then do
another, promote the hell out of that, etc. But the big artists-- he
mentioned Dolly Parton and several others-- just put out albums when
they're ready, and can play things from anywhere in their catalogue. If
you follow the links from his site, there's a great little clip from The
Buzz, and he talks about how he sees the business, and his place in it. I
don't know if I've ever seen anyone so fully following their bliss.

Bottom line: if this show's gonna be anywhere near you, just go.