RE: OTR influence

a human for orphans wrote:
>I'm not a regular on the OTR list,
>so I don't know anything about anyone who is.
>Right now, I have some time to read and post,
>but after the holidays, I'll be much busier with work.
>I'm interested in knowing how you first learned
>about OTR and what about them has influenced
>you and kept your interest.
>What about the band members, music, or message
>do you relate to most?

I started a topic with your first question on the forum last week, and I'll
put my answer below, but first I'll answer your other question.  I relate to
Linford in some ways as a keyboard player and as a reader/writer.  I'm drawn
to Karin's voice over and over and over again.  As a Christian, I'm most
often drawn to music that at least points toward my worldview, even if it
doesn't fit it completely; Over The Rhine fits right in there.  I'm also
drawn to the fact that, even in some of the saddest of their songs, there's
an undercurrent of hope that's sometimes barely noticeable.  I'm a sucker
for a sad song (I don't know why; I'd consider myself a generally happy
person).

Here's my OTR story from the forum...
"Way back in the fall of 1991, I was a freshman in college at the Unversity
of Georgia, and in one of my many attempts to fit into the college life as
much as a commuter can, I tried listening to the UGA radio station. I heard
this amazing song with this killer voice singing something about a radio. I
never heard the DJ say who it was, so I called the station up, and he told
me the song was "Like A Radio" by Over The Rhine. I wrote it down. I looked
and looked and looked around until I found a copy of 'Til We Have Faces on
cassette,and I listened to it until the tape wore out. Literally. For some
reason, I never heard anything else from this band.

Fast forward seven years later...fall 1998. My friends Greg & Monica and my
then 15-year-old godson Brett and I were sitting around one Sunday night
just singing and playing songs after we had finished putting on our weekly
teen service at church. Monica starts singing this amazing, beautiful song
called "Poughkeepsie." When she was done, Brett asked her if she had written
that song, and she said "no, that's an Over The Rhine song." I told her I
didn't know they were still around. That night I got online and started
looking for a discography. The next weekend I picked up TWHF on CD, and not
long after that, I found Good Dog Bad Dog. Little by little, I picked up on
the rest, found the official website and got plugged in with the incredible
community of OTR fans."

Chris