How I became an OTR fan

I was in college at Indiana University of
Pennsylvania 15 years ago or so when I first
heard about Over the Rhine. At the time, I was an
avid consumer of alternative CCM music and
subscribed to publications such as CCM Magazine
and others. It was in those magazines that I
first started read reviews and articles about
this band from Ohio.

But I didn't take it too seriously until I began
reading fabulous reviews and articles in a
publication called Harvest Rock Syndicate. It is
now defunct, but it was the best periodical
covering Christian music, especially the
alternative scene, with honest reviews and real
articles and interviews that were insightful and
in depth. Anyone else remember it? It went
downhill fast after editor Brian Quincy Newcomb
sold it. Even if it is still published, I'd still
call it defunct because it became very, very
crappy.

But I digress.

I regret to admit that, even after reading
tremendous reviews in HRS, I never bought an OTR
album. I always had reasons to spend my money
elsewhere. But three or four years ago, a
Christian conference called Jubilee, held in
Pittsburgh by the Coalition for Christian
Outreach, booked OTR for its Friday night
entertainment. Coincidentally, my wife and I were
planning to attend the conference. So based on
the history and reviews I'd read in HRS, I bought
"Amateur Shortwave Radio" so I would be somewhat
familiar with the music that night.

Upon arriving in the ballroom of the Hilton, I
remember being disappointed because it was only
Linford, Karin, whoever was playing guitar at the
time and some other chick singing background
vocals. I was expecting a full band. But I was
just blown away by the performance, particularly
Karin's voice. She was captivating, even if many
people in the audience were talking rather loudly
during the show.

I was smitten. And after reading the liner notes
in "ASR" and seing that there was a listserv, I
signed up and have been a real fan ever since.

Jeff

=====
Jeff McCloud
226 Arch St.