Re: The Perfect Gift

Ysobelle wrote:
> I saw her at the North Star Bar show-- lovely Liesel, with SHORT HAIR. It was
> quite a shock. Unfortunately, she won't be able to make the Taft show,
> alas. Will you, Don?

Nope.  I thought about it, but then decided that (a) I'd rather go see Ric's
"ambient" show on the 19th, (b) two drives to Cinci in two weeks were too much,
and (c) I just saw OtR at the Ark and missed Ric's show in Michigan because I
was in Istanbul.  Although the prospect of seeing you and Anita and other crazy
list kids was veeeery tempting.  But then I'd have to make a cheesecake.  :-)
Too bad you can't stop by here on your way home.

> And by the way-- I'm sorry I didn't answer your email (I'm ALWAYS saying
> that!)

Yeah, I don't believe you any more.  :-)  :-)  (That's a joke, I say,
that's a joke, son.)

> but oh, dear G-d, am I glad you're home safe. WOOTY WOOT! When did
> you get back?

Got back to Detroit on the 25th, drove to Chicago for Thanksgiving on the 26th.
Came back from Turkey and went to eat turkey.  :-) The trip was amazing.  I
took about 700 pictures, and put some of them on the web (check out
http://www.rotse.net/dasmith/photos).  I spent a week on the top of a mountain
working on the telescope, and then three days wandering around the mediteranean
coast (didn't swim, but did stick my hands in the water).  Saw a couple of
ancient ruined cities, one of which was supposedly a place that St. Paul
stopped to preach on one of his journies back in the first century.  The other
one was abandoned in the thirteenth century and then recolonized in the 19th.
So now it's this bizarre interwoven mix of ancient ruins and a modern tourist
trap.  Then I had three days in Istanbul, which was completely overwhelming.  I
saw a lot of neat historical buildings and structures, and I learned how to
make Ebru paintings, which involve floating paint on water.  It's way fun, and
makes *beautiful* artwork.  See the photos for more, but I haven't had time to
write many captions yet.  Hopefully the picutures will speak for themselves.

Back to work,
--
Don Smith                           Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas@umich.edu                                http://www.rotse.net/dasmith/