Re: BPD

Maybe you're not the only person in the world who doesn't know what BPD stands
for, but certainly the only one on this list!

> From: "Kim Cart" <kim@kimcartphoto.com>
> Subject: BPD
>
> Hoping this isn't a repeat topic, but it just hit me. BPD -- Borderline
> Personality Disorder. Has anyone else made this connection? Am I the
> only person in the world who hasn't?

gentle kidding aside, it was revealed in an interview with Linford :

http://promontoryartists.org/lookingcloser/overtherhineinterview2003.htm
[quote]It stands for Borderline Personality Disorder.

That song is sort of a mental note that Karin wrote, but really it?s a note for
both of us. We have a habit of trying to rescue people in ways that are probably
counterproductive. It?s been a process of learning that not everybody who cries
?Save me!? is interested in changing their life in any significant way. We?ve had
to learn that through a couple of difficult experiences, but good and necessary
experiences.  Our songs are in some ways moving away from the confessional thing
and into more of a narrative approach. Music for us involved a lot of internal
work on our records. Now some of that work is done and we?re looking around and
coming to grips with the fact that all is not right with the world and we need to
engage. [/quote]

And just as a P.S. ... to answer, for the umpteenth time, is (are) Over the Rhine
a Christian band ???  I dunno.  I don't think the band really knows either.  You
get your clues for either side of the arguement.  K&L are both children of
preachers.  There is a distinct spiritual theme to their music.  They go to
church - and probably would encourage us all to attend, too.  O.K. so it's well
defined that they're Christians, and we all know that they ROCK, but does that
make it C-R?  I say not.  Christian-Rock is music that is specifically written to
be C-R.  I think OtR makes music that could be described as C-R and even
categorized that way, but I daresay that is the intent of the musicians.
Conversely, I don't think they would mind winning a C-R award.  However, our
friends put too much emphasis on the Rock part of C-R and they have been shunned
by that crowd.

As Mutabaruka would say "Me know not which country I belong".

-jason