Re: Okay, NOW we're talking about porn.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 Ysobelle@aol.com wrote:

> edwardsaaron2000@yahoo.com:
>
> >That is, porn lowers the status of women to nothing more than mere sex
> >objects.

yz

> Maybe. Doesn't it depend on the woman? Doesn't it depend on the viewer?

does it?  what is the point of porn? is it to entertain? titllate? why is
it needed ?

i agree that the human body is not something to be ashamed of, but that
doesn't mean i want to parade it in front of just anyone. it's valuable. i
think people confuse embarrassment with shame.  embarrassment could just
mean misplaced viewing. if you, the person, are valuable, do you display
that vlue to everyone who would want it? who would maybe thieve it? no.

as to porn. i think it's doesn't matter who's doing it or why. and this is
because i tihnk the fundamental driving force of porn is the sale of sex.

and i don't like that mainly because i beleive it's a beautiful private
thing that should be valued. it's devaluing if you can get it anywhere,
not so special.

is the first piece of pie yummy? hot from the oven? the 10th? what if
everywhere you went you had pies? you'd get sick of them, or so used to
them that it's nothing new. so you seek out more exotic pies over and over
again.  until you are hooked on something that doesn't give you any
enjoyment.

> Isn't saying every woman is demeaned by porn just as prejudicial and
> objectifying as what the porn itself is said to do?

maybe.

it's not all the same. and i sometimes think that there's a fine line
between art and porn.

> Have you ever asked a porn star how she feels?

no. but i know someone who's addicted to porn to the detriment of his
marriage, family, community standing and ministry.

i've read the things he's written about porn and sex, and how that cannot
be demeaning both to himself, the woman he writes, and his *wife*, i would
fail to understand.

> Have you ever looked at porn either made for or by women?

don't desire to.

> I'm not saying I'm shaking my pompoms for the porn industry.  I'm not.
> I'm just saying this is not quite so simple an issue to classify and
> dismiss.

you're right, it's a difficult issue to think about, quantify or qualify
easily.

> Apropos, take a look at the first letter in Dan Savage's column this
> week. I don't always agree with him in everything, but he makes some
> valid points this time 'round.
>
> http://www.thestranger.com/current/savage.html

interesting stuff. wish i had witty and thoughtful argument'sagreement
words to say.

rhys

--
The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.