Show summary--Knoxville TN, 9-30-03

Great day list!

September 30th at the Pilot Light, Knoxville TN:

Hmmm, The date was 9/30, and the doors opened at 9:30, but not one song from
Patience.  Maybe I should have requested one.

The band had some challenges to over come, but nothing could have kept us from
having a great time (Karin remarked that she was glad we all came out because
it would really suck if we weren’t there).  I sort of felt the reciprocal.

The stage is small at the Pilot Light, and Paul couldn’t fit all his equipment
up there, so we had to make due with no sitar—nor Spinning for that matter.
Karin said it was a good reason to catch them on another date.  I agree.
Linford had to setup stage-right which is the opposite side for him
on a normal night.  The house sound system had to be patched and re-wired to an
extremely creative degree.  There was some crackling and vocal drop-outs, and
the reverb was higher than I've probably ever heard it before, but despite all
these obstacles, they still managed to rock the house to a more than
respectable level.  To me, the whole situation was illustrative of what
fantastic musicians (as well as human beings) they are.

The set list was:

Long Lost Brother—this was the point when the vocals crashed.  Karin had just
belted out “Further along by now” and the whole thing crackled and spurted and
died.  Fortunately it was revived, but the whole incident made Karin seem like
this goddess who can smite entire sound systems with a single note.

Bothered--Rocks.  Totally.
Show Me—This song gets better every time I hear it live.  Funny
how it can be one of my least favorite on the CD and one of my most favorite
live.
Jesus i. N.O.  Someone tell me how Linford has the writing credits for this
song, while Karin says it's about an experience she had.  Is Linford writing
*as* Karin, or is it more of a Daddy Untwisted authorship?  I just always took
it for granted that Karin wrote it--especially the chorus.
She
Nobody Number One
Suitcase
Life Long Fling/Ain’t No Sunshine—How nice.  That groovy bass line could have
gone on all night. Damn, welcome back into my good graces, Rick Plant.
----------------------------
Ohio (not played)
----------------------------
BPD  (not played)
All I need is Everything--the crowd responded to the mention of GDBD
When I Go-ten minute jam version.
---------------------------
Cruel and Pretty
Changes

Latter Daze -not on the setlist, but we coaxed them back out for a single
encore.  I could see this one guy silhouetted by the stage lights, mouthing
every line.

After the show, I got Linford and Karin to sign my guitar.  They both seemed a
little hesitant.  Karin asked me at least twice if I was sure, and then told me
she hoped I didn't regret it.  I actually bought it last year and have been
putting off learning to play it.  I'd  considered selling it, so having them
sign it was my way of tricking myself into keeping it and learning to play.  I
mean, they're my two favorite musicians, why wouldn't I want them to sign it?
In the end it was perfect.  Karin tastefully put her trademark signature down
at the bottom left corner, and Linford personalized it with my name and a quote
from OHIO in sprawling linfordesque letters that flow along the contoured top
edge of the body.  I'm taking it to get it re-sealed so they won't wear off
with use.

=====