Memphis

Ok, I got to bed at 2:30 after a two-hour drive home from Memphis, so my observations may lack insight, or simply parrot (or, should I say, add an "amen" to) what's already been said.

Over The Rhine @ The Hi-Tone Cafe, Memphis, TN, September 28, 2003

Spinning
Bothered
Show Me
New Orleans
She
Nobody #1
Suitcase
Lifelong Fling/Ain't No Sunshine
BPD
All I Need
The World Can Wait
When I Go

----Encore----
My Love Is A Fever
Cruel & Pretty
Latter Days

Taking to the stage, the band looked very relaxed and comfortable. Karin remarked on more than one occasion that guitarist Paul Moak's mother and other family had come up from Jackson, Mississippi, for the show. It was good to see the band turning up the volume again. The mix was very clear and tight. Despite the volume, Karin was never overpowered. Paul added great counterpoint with both his guitar (I loved his "call and response" with the vocal melody in "Bothered") and backing vocals. His solo on "When I Go" made me especially glad they were playing as a band again.

I work with bands as a kind of professional hobby. Most of the time I go to a show, even with bands I think are good enough to give huge sums of my own money, I'm sitting or standing near the back, arms crossed, waiting for them to get to "the good stuff." This show was nothing but the good stuff from the first note to the final "thank you, goodnight." As soon as they hit the stage, I lost all my cool and sang along to each and every song with a big raving fanboy smile on my face.

The only minor disappointments were the omission of "Ohio" and "Changes Come" from the set list. Hopefully, they'll play those when they make a stop in my hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas, on November 15. I'll be there (anyone else in the neighborhood?). If they come anywhere near you on this jaunt, I cannot recommend strongly enough you go to see them.

Bradley S. Caviness, Bigwig
Bigwig Enterprises

http://www.bigwigenterprises.com

Do you Yahoo!?