re: concerts a go-go (w/ Sigur Ros tidbit)

Perry wrote:
> So here's a couple questions: How has this year been for you in
> regards to live music?

It's been a very good live music year for Mr and Mrs Throatybeard.

Seen:
some guy playing Saint-Saens 2nd piano Cto
soprano Heidi Grant Murphy
pianist Richard Goode
Emerson SQ
Matt Haimovitz - Bach Unacc. Cello Suites (in a little indy rock house)
Met Ariadne auf Naxos
Met Parsifal
NC Symphony outgoing Music Director's farewell concert (he's from Cincy!)
mezzo Fredericka von Stade
Kirov Opera (at the Met) Khovanchina
Seattle Opera Parsifal (the impetus for the road trip)

Tonight:
I'm hauling over to Knoxville to hear Kronos Quartet -- I'm particularly
excited becuase they'll be doing the Sigur Ros song Fluguflelsarrinn.
It's rare that they do it instead of svegn-n-englar or whatever it's
called.  For those of you in Ohio, Kronos will be in Charleston, WV, in
May.  They often do Sigur Ros pieces--their arrangements are just
unbelieveable.

Later this year:
James Ehnes, violin (Bach partitas)
Met Tristan und Isolde
Tokyo SQ
OVER THE RHINE in Asheville, Philadelphia
Academy of Ancient Music
some painist play Rachmaninoff 3rd Cto
Borromeo SQ (I always forget and call them Borneo String Quartet)
pianist Ignat Solzhenitsyn
Washington opera Die Walkure
PGH Opera Flying Dutchman

Regrets:
I'm missing both REM an Thomas Hampson while I'm at a conference in
Philly.  Upside: see OtR twice in two weeks.

Admittedly I've gone ape shit this year.  (It's been a Wagner orgy- 5
performances of 4 operas, and I gave Meistersinger tix to a friend when I
couldn't make it to NYC in May).  Next year is pay off the credit cards
and do maintenance on the car... and presumably more OtR.

BenT