Re: Over the Rhine, Tastes, and a band you might see in Florida

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 02:42, Brian Hugh Warren wrote:

> Any suggestions> - I'd like it to be a song that would make people want
> to buy OHIO - so probably mass appeal would be nice.
> -bw
> > Now, does anyone know if OTR are pushing any of the songs from these
> > discs to radio?  If they did, which would you play?  I could hear "How
> > Long have you Been Stoned" or "Nobody Number One" getting airplay on

I've always thought that "How Long Have You Been Stoned" would be the
most likely choice for mainstream Top40 radio.  However, OtR is so
varied, especially on this record, that you can pretty much choose a
different song depending on the radio format.  If you're gonna play on
alt-country, go with "Jesus in New Orleans".  Got a jazz station?  You
could get by with "Lifelong Fling."  And "Idea #21 (It's not too Late)"
is great for Gospel.

I agree with whoever said the danger of having a radio single is
everyone assuming that the particular style being played exemplifies
OtR, when in reality they're about as varied as it gets.

Troy