fcc/artistic obscenity (red sox content)

i don't usually get into this kind of thing, but last
friday evening, a public radio station in my area put
on a song by "tribe called quest".  after about 55
seconds and a couple "nigga"'s "shit"'s later, the guy
(who i think was the former program director) cut to
traffic in mid-song.  i don't know if the dj was
thumbing his nose at the establishment kind-a thing or
got a call from a man in a black suit or what.

anyway, among other thoughts, it made me wonder why
songs like "who are you" and pink floyd's "money" can
be played ad nauseum on classic rock stations with the
obscenities not bleeped.  i really don't know why.
were these tunes somehow "grandfathered" or is it a
matter of gradation and judgment of the obscenity
contextually?

somehow i don't think jeeves would have the answer.
does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

eric, who is very optimistic about a phillies/red sox
world series :)