Re: Ohio on the big charts, good thing or bad?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Bethany Keeley wrote:

> Quoting Aaron Edwards <edwardsaaron2000 at yahoo_com>:
>
> I do sort of like being part of the small(ish) loyal fanbase of a less
> well known band, but I'm willing to share them (I think).
>
> Bethany

Hey, if it keeps Willow in Alpo, then by all means, BRING THE FANS ON.
We can take 'em.  I mean, how many years of list time have been wasted on
answering questions like, "Is Over the Rhine a Christian band?"  We've got
our metaphorical nines primed to take on the hoi polloi fans with their
silly questions.  We are innoculated, o my brothers and sisters, from
the stupidity of the masses.

Someone talks about how they knew OtR before they were popular, just slap
down your Eve trading cards and tell 'em Ric Hordinski said for you to set
them straight.  If they get lippy, ask them if THEY WERE THERE at the
Darkest Night of the Year concert when we all thought the band was going
away.

And really, wouldn't you rather see a bunch of fifteen year-olds walk down
the street talking about the veritable churning sexual MACHINE that is
Linford Detweiller ("I hear he's Amish...")?

Shouldn't kids be showing up at school in outfits that Karin Berquist
inspired rather than johnny-come-latelys like Jessica Simpson?

Should insipid talent portions of beauty contests NOT be filled with
covers of "I Painted My Name?"

Like Gerard Manley Hopkins' beloved nature's God, our culture YEARNS for a
sleek, organic HOT OVER THE RHINE injection into the collective
group-mind.

Bring on the public.  We will style and profile all over them.  And when
it's all over, and the WHOLE WORLD is awaiting the next album from Karin
and Linford, waiting for that next little touch of POST-NUCLEAR
PSEUDO-ALTERNATIVE FOLK-TINGED ART-POP, we can sit back, drink our mint
julips, and say, "Yeah.  We were there."

Kickass.

-Drew J

Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA   ^ ^
"You rock my small, self-centered world." -Diablo, goats.com       (_|_)