Lexington Review

Originally I wasn't going to send in my thoughts,  first because it might spoil the Saturday show, then because I didn't think I had much to add.  But a contribution is a contribution so here it is.

Nice big room, the Dame.  Comfy wooden atmosphere, felt at home quickly.  I was early, and only 4 or 5 people were standing by the stage, all the chairs had been taken, and some had even brought lawn chairs to set up in front of the tables.  Lastly, there was a row of people who had dropped all inhibition and just sat down on the
floor.  Not much I can say about the Children's Hour that hasn't already been said... but for the most part the audience remained quiet and attentive, even when they got lost during the most boring song of the night.  It was then that I felt like letting loose an exclamation regarding their talents, but it was an OtR show and I
remained most respectful.  Since I'm (in)famous for making musical comparisons, at the time I was thinking it sounded like Nick Drake meets Lauri Anderson & The Cranberrys.  The next song had the same tart vocals but this totally mod rythm - I finally put my finger on it ...  Dionne Warwick.  There's a place for them in all the
weirdness, it's just hard to sit through them while you're anticipating the greatness of an OtR performance just a short while away.

OtR setlist was almost identical to Cincy, but there was no "Latter Days".  I also don't think there was "All I Need is Everything" but I could be wrong there.  I don't know if the first songs were so satisfying because they were like a cool drink of water after a long drought, or maybe they really were that special.  Bothered was
about 10X bigger than I expected, definitely the new version because of the active bass line.  Paul has more electronics than I've yet seen, even saw a laptop up there, and he knows how to use them.  Had that sitar wailing.  Long Lost Brother was so tender it was a rush that I wasn't really prepared for so early.  The next thing I
should mention was The World Can Wait.  This was a guitar distortion extravaganza, loops, delay, the works.  Think of Spiritualized's "I Want You" ending where it's electronic synth pulsing, and add to that the grittiness of a Massive Attack live version of "Teardrop", and it starts to approach a description of what was happening.
Power chords rippling and circling around again.

Something I've noticed is how much I miss the old guitarist when the lineup changes.  Never thought they'd find another Rick, but then I saw Jack play that steel guitar to my total amazement.  My biggest gripe right now is the succession of styles has gotten more distorted.  Rick had a very distinct and precise signature.  Jack was a
little fuzzy around the edges, but chose his notes more sparingly to make up for it.  So what I miss most is a searing guitar cutting through and rivaling Karin's voice.  What we have now is more a wash of sound, a blend of lead and rythm; perhaps more cerebral headroom, perhaps it uses up too much of that headroom trying to pick out a
thread.

When I Go has been the highlight of the show both times I've seen it.  I think it is the most graceful, haunting, truthful songs. <sigh>

Early in the show someone yelled out for Jesus In New Orleans, and Karin quipped "Oh, is *that* where he is?  I've been looking for him".  Later on as Linford was introducing the wine me, dine me T-Shirts, he announced that there was a new fashion trend sweeping the country, and I SO wanted to yell out "The Mullet Wig!" but I figured
no one's paying $10 to hear my fat yap.

Lastly, something I don't believe has been mentioned on this list is the co-producer of Ohio, Mahan Kalpa, is a Kundalini Yoga instructor.  I couldn't stop thinking about that during the show.  I don't know if anyone of the band members themselves are into that, but I got the feeling that some of Mahan's spiritual influence was in the
room.  Was it the sitar, the incense, or the oriental rugs, the people sitting cross legged on the floor or the fact that garudasana felt so right?  Whatever it was, Over the Rhine made the most of it because they put on a high intensity show.

Counting the days 'till October 1
-jas