My Moonlite Gardens review

     Hmmm, this didn't go through the first time... let's hope I don't break
the list AGAIN...

     If you're an Over the Rhine fan, there are three places you should see
Over the Rhine

1.)  The Taft (or Emery) Theater for a Christmas show
2.)  On the farm at Cornerstone
3.)  "Down by the river" at Moonlight Gardens

     Well, that's now three out of three for me.  My wife and I travelled up
to Cinci for the show this past Saturday night.

     First of all, what an incredible location for a concert.  I loved the
open stone floor in front of the stage, the tables along the sides, and the
balcony above.  A beautiful venue for a concert!  Plus there was plenty of
room to move around, get drinks, go to merch table, even when the place was
packed full of people.

     The openers were Griffin House and The Children's Hour.  I wish the order
had been reversed.  I could've only taken 20 minutes of The Children's Hour and
sat through 40 minutes of Griffin House.  Griffin House was OK, nothing awesome,
but not bad either.  Just two guys on accoustic guitar.  I was amused when the
singer called his friend from the stage on his cell phone and left the
phone while he played so his friend could hear him perform.  The Children's
Hour was a woman yodeling while a guy played guitar.  It was OK for one or
two songs, but it got pretty old quickly.

     I am still hating myself for the seat location that I chose for the show.
We feared rain would strike in the middle of the show, so we sat under the
covered section instead of sitting out in the middle.  This put us sitting
in front of some jabbering morons that spent the entire show drinking
beer, talking loudly, being rude and obnoxious, and in general, not
even acknowledging that there was a band on stage.  I expect this kind
of behavior at the Styx/Journey/Reo Speedwagon show, not at an Over the
Rhine show.  So, if that was any of y'all on the list (I'm SURE it was
not) then I salute you for nearly ruining my experience!

     I say nearly because try as they might, the morons could not ruin the show.
Over the Rhine was just that good tonight.

Set List:
Spinning
Bothered
Long Lost Brother
Show Me
Nobody Number One
Suitcase
Lifelong Fling
Ohio
BPD
All I Want Is Everything
The World Can Wait
When I Go

ENCORE:
How Long Have You Been Stoned?
Cruel and Pretty

SECOND ENCORE:
Latter Days
Changes Come

Spinning just rocks.  What an awesome opener.  It just builds tension and
suspense and makes you think "this night is going to be incredible."  I
love the re-worked Bothered.  I also love Linford leaning over Karin to
play the organ while she plays piano on BPD.  While I enjoyed the piano
only version of "The World Can Wait", I am so glad the rockin' version
is back.  Kick rump.

After the show was over, we had a two hour drive ahead of us back to
Lexington, so I didn't hang around.  I wish I could, it would've been nice
to meet some of y'all,  just as long as you weren't the yahoos sitting
behind me.

   Jeff

Visit the Over the Rhine history site:
http://thedirtroad.net/otrhine