anne's blue gift

a few weeks ago, a friend called completely excited telling me about the
latest book she read by an author i turned her on to over the summer. "
she's marvelously insane, just the way i like her," she said "you must
read this book." planning to take a literary hiatus, i nicely put a smile
in my voice and nodded causally into the receiver.

well, tonight i needed some down time after a couple of weeks of constant
activity. i made the hard decision not to go to a violet burning concert
i had been looking forward to electing rather just to sit for a little
while.

on the way home from work, i stopped by borders (you recall, my favorite
bookstore) and picked up the aforementioned book 'blue shoes' by anne
lamott and found myself clapping after reading this passage:

"the leaves of the delicate japanese maple between mattie's window and
the wobbly fence were still green, but everywhere in the garden were
russets and butterscotch oranges, other trees giddy with color, almost
garish. like gypsy dresses. when she strained to listen, she could
imagine them saying, we gave you shade, and now we'll give you a little
kick-ass beauty before we die"

ohio,
zayne
--