Re: mailing list vs. message board?

Forums aren't too difficult to set up. If you have a lot of users it can
crush a server, but I guess it depends what it's worth to you. I set up a
(free) forum a bit ago. When my site gets together enough to open, maybe
I'll coax in a few users. Right now, with no links to it, it lies dormant.
Register and post, it's awfully easy:
forums . satelliteroad . com (sans spaces)

I prefer forums to mailing lists, I think. I'm used to threads--they rarely
stay on topic anyway. Easier to keep straight, and the messages are always
saved. No mixing personal messages with group, no mistaken posts to the
entire world. If you got a quote wrong or misspelled your name, go back and
edit your post. Though there is an obvious drawback. If the forum has a post
count, it lets people know just how much you're hanging around.

Is that so bad?

Nathan