Re: what's everbody reading

Aaron wrote:
> I have to say me too. That pisses me off that they would change any of the
> language.

Well, in some cases (like the "peckers" line), I can see the point, but by and
large, I agree.  It gives you a chance to expand your horizons and learn that
some people speak the same language and still call things by different names.
I read a lot of British books as a child, and I remember being very confused
when boys ran around throwing rocks with "catapults".  I shrugged and imagined
they had miniature medieval seige engines in their pockets.  It wasn't until
*years* later I found out the brits say "catapult" where I would have said
"slingshot".  :-)

Where I strongly, strongly agree is exemplified by the "Sorcerer's" Stone.
Apparently *someone* (who makes these decisions, anyway?) decided that the
reference to the real legend of the Philosopher's Stone would just confuse us
poor dumb Americans, and so it was changed to Sorcerer's Stone, which neatly
cuts off the historical resonance Rowling was trying to achieve with the
reference.  Reminds me of a story J. Straczynski told about a Babylon 5 script
that referenced Captain Ahab, and some network executive told him it was too
obscure.  Oy, vey!

Good night,
--
Don Smith                           Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                                http://www.rotse.net/dasmith/