Re: what's everybody reading

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Don Smith wrote:
> The main difference in the new one was I noticed a line when one of the
> Weasley twins was talking about how hard the fifth year of school was,
> he said "George and I managed to keep our peckers up somehow."  When I
> got home from Africa, I went to the bookstore and looked up that spot in
> the US edition and found: "George and I managed to keep our spirits up
> somehow."  :-)

Oh, page number! chapter number!  I must look this up.  :)

> > > . . . part III of "A Marginal Jew" by John Meier . . .
> >
> > Oh, how is that?  I still haven't gotten around to picking it up yet
> > -- seems hard to believe it's been nearly a decade since part II.
>
> No kidding!  And Meier had some kind of drastic, life-threatening
> illness in the meantime.

Really?  I hadn't heard about that.  Glad he survived.

> Hopefully he will make it to finish part four.

Heh.  This *was* supposed to be a two-book project, back when the first
book came out in 1991, wasn't it?  :)

> I'm starting the opponents section now, and it's proving more
> frustrating, only because he buys the party line about Essenes living at
> Qumran, which I do not, and it's frustrating to see him be *sooo*
> critical and careful about *every* assumption and Ansatz with respect to
> all the other source material, but then accept as a given with no
> critical examination that there were Essenes at Qumran who wrote the
> Dead Sea Scrolls. Since I don't accept that the evidence supports that
> conclusion, any argument about how Jesus relates to "the community at
> Qumran" is (to me) meaningless and irrelevant.

Yeah, I remember this Essene thing was a bone of contention for you when
you read the previous installment, too.

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee