Poor Elliott Smith... Poor Paul Simon...

You guys write too much..  haha!  I'm *working* here!!  I agree with
everything Rhys said so far.. ;)  If the issues were on a ballot, I'd vote a
uniparty ticket today.

Don't get me wrong, I like Paul Simon's songs, I have a bunch of
Simon&Garfunkle and Paul Simon solo in my collection.  But he tries too
hard..  Not everything has to be so "fancy".

This email originally had a bunch of comparisons between the two I'd dug up
on the internet.  Elliott said in some interview basically the same thing I
did - that he writes about REAL things that affect him, and not the garbage
that Paul Simon writes..  or something..  It made Elliott seem an ass, but I
agree, his lyrics are leaps and bounds more personal to me than Paul Simon's
stuff.

Someone wrote on one site: "Smith's voice is like alleyways full of broken
glass, peopled with soon-to-be ghosts. Paul Simon is a luxury condominium
with the air conditioner blasting."

So at the end of the day (I'm sick of that expression) Paul can be alluding
to my life in all sorts of clever lyrical ways, but I still listen to him
just for clever pop songs and the production..  Elliott is affecting in a
way that Over The Rhine is, in a useful, personal way.

Drink up baby , look at the stars
I'll kiss you again, between the bars