Re: in a quandry

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Don Smith wrote:
> Speed limits are *definitely* out.

Says a man who I'd hazard has probably driven on the autobahns.  :)

> It's a natural law that if you fall off a cliff, you're going to
> accelerate at about 9.8 m/s/s toward the ground.  It's not a natural law
> that if you have a CD, you're going to copy it.

It may, however, be a natural law that if X number of people have the
means to copy a CD, then Y number of people will do so and copy it, within
varying degrees.  Broad social patterns like that do exist.

As one person pointed out, the thing about Napster that the record
companies failed to grasp was that the sharing of music files is basically
*inevitable* -- it's just a question of whether they respond to it in a
way that is beneficial to them (and to their customers) or not.

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee