SUITCASE-sensitive

I sneaked into the computer lab without proper ID
I downloaded the files
I burned the disc
I walked to the meter where I was double parked
I put the disc in the car player
Doh, wrong disc!
I put the right disc in the player:

I'm listening to Nobody Number One as I drive by the church on Seventeenth St
that's handing out food to the homeless.  Is it a coincidence as I'm watching a
bearded man wearing camouflage sitting on the sidewalk eating beans with a
plastic spoon out of the opened can--lid still attached and raised askew like
some makeshift satellite dish beaming out messages to me, that Karin's singing
"I'm afraid I'm not all that you see, all along the coast of me, I'm
camouflaged, a desert mirage, a nobody"?  Do I need to tell you guys, that I
got chills? Yes, it happened.  Yes, it was ethereal, and yes, I had an epiphany
as I sat at that stop light watching the homeless rifling throught their paper
sacks picking out what they wanted to keep, and trading off the rest with those
around them.  I initially thought how blessed, I was just because I was able to
drive anywhere I wanted to go, and that I was pursuing my dreams, no matter how
slowly I seemed to limp toward the finish line.  That was the throw away idea,
though.  As I sat there in my air conditioned car, watching those "less
fortunate" than me, I noticed that they were greeting each other warmly, some
were hugging, and others were just beaming to each other, with no need for
words.  It became so apparent to me how important each person is in the world,
and how sometimes all it takes to make your life really seem great, is to
receive some small thing.  Food, for the needy, a brand new double album from
your favourite band, a hug, or a smile.  As I drove away, I wondered if any of
those people there were thinking of me in the way I was thinking of them--as
equals.  I'll never know, but I do know that I have a different view of the
world today.  It may wear off as the day goes along, I may forget altogether
that it's the small, simple things that matter, but at least for now, I was
able to see beyond my clouded world view to what's really important.

Well, by the time Suitcase started to play, I was feeling pretty good.  When I
heard Karin's voice, I felt my whole body turn to goosebumps from head to toe.
There was no epiphany this time, but as I drove and watched the world around me
as if it were a video for that exact three minutes of my life, I was in total
euphoria.  Karin is without a doubt, one of the most powerful voices in music
today.  She has this unexplainable quality that she possesses that evokes pure
emotion.  Linford has said that she keeps the part of her that sings close to
the part of her that feels.  That's as good an analogy as any will probably
ever come to describing the emotion her voice contains.  I don't want to sound
corny, or whatever, but listening to Over the Rhine is one of the most
enjoyable experiences in my life.  There's certainly no other band I know of
that pleases me on so many levels.  It seems so unfair that most of the world
at large still doesn't know of this band.

On a more down to earth note, I was thinking up to this point that Forgivness
was going to be on this album.  I looked over the track list now and don't see
it.  Was I crazy, or wasn't it on the preliminary track listing?  I must have
this song. Anyone, anyone...

Mark

=====