Over the Rhine, 4 July 2003

Hello all!

Goodness it's been *forever* since I've been on this list (as in years!),
but I thought I'd pass on a rough and tumble review I wrote for my friends
who couldn't make it...

Enjoy!  :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
We are all in for an AMAZING trip once Ohio is released: 21 new songs of
heartbreak and wonder.  Seeing them at Cornerstone on Friday was a spiritual
experience--I kid you not.  This show was taped for inclusion on the new DVD
musical documentary--so you'll get to see it in December!  They have a new
drummer (Will Sayler), a bassist (Rick Plant--on loan from Buddy and Julie
Miller's band ;), and a guitarist who is a veritable phenom!  His name is
Paul Moak (?), and he made the rounds on pedal steel, sitar, xylophone, a
12-string electric, Rickenbacher, etc.  And backup vocals.  They're touring
the entire U.S. this fall...this is the one to bring all your friends to!!
:)  It was a jaw-dropping evening...half the time I couldn't believe what I
was seeing/hearing.  They've totally reinvented themselves again--and the
huge sound is back--rip roaring guitars--the passionate intensity of their
music turned WAY UP.  Linford was grinning throughout the entire evening.
Everyone was having a lot of fun...

Here is the setlist and brief descriptions... ;)  * = stuff I've never heard
before

Spinning ~ All five of them...  Paul opening it with a sitar!

Bothered ~ drum intro--they played it as an upbeat rock song...I barely
recognized it at first...amazing.

*"I wanna feel better / I wanna try harder / I want to believe down to the
letter / Jesus and Mary can you carry us / across the sea to forgiveness" ~
scorching ballad

Show Me (How It Feels) ~ I remember a long time ago they introduced it as
HDIF Pt. II!  ;)  That night Karin said, "This is a song about a good kind
of love."  Rollicking fun.

She ~ Karin introduced this song about domestic abuse: "Everyone has the
right to live in a home free from fear."

*"Come on now child, don't cry / Come on now child, don't cry / Just give it
one more try / Come on
    now child, don't cry" ~ sung chorus, but spoken word verses a la "My
Love is a Fever"--but the tone
    of the song is more like Lucinda Williams' "Sweet Side"--great stuff!!

Ohio ~ Karin solo on keyboard.  She said, "Although I wasn't born in Ohio,
it's where I grew up...and met Linford--my better half."

*BPD ~ She introduced it a cathartic number--the first track of the new
album.  She stayed on the keyboard for this one too--and Linford came out
behind her and played the organ...it would've made a lovely picture as the
two intruments form a little corner...so she was facing the audience and he
was right behind her facing stage right.  She's venting to someone who is
always "making a mess" and not taking responsibility for the damage and pain
they cause others.  She just lets loose!

*lengthy bluesy/sultry/piano/xylophone/high hat/lounge number.  The lyrics
described her thinking of someone...putting a letter in the pocket of her
jacket...  Towards the end it became an extended jam session...with Linford
as quite the soul man on that there piano...

The World Can Wait ~ blew the roof off!

When I Go ~ in my journal I wrote "Holy Crap!"  Both of these were the
strongest I've ever heard them--Paul's guitar work was *magnificent*--his
guitar spoke...moaned...shrieked...wailed...and sang.

Encore 1:

All I Need Is Everything

Latter Days (you know the end piano part when she sings "la da da da da da"?
  Paul played it on his guitar instead...nice touch)

*"Change is coming down..." ~ L. introduced it.  He said it was written in
the studio as tanks were rolling into Bethlehem and Baghdad...the world
getting even more out of control...and so he said that it became
"apocalyptic"...  Later in the song (after singing that "this world is
fucked up"), she switches to, "Jesus come down (or come home?)" and the end
where they all go nuts and she's wailing and the guitar is screaming she
goes, "Jesus, bring the whole thing down" over and over.  Tears were
streaming down my face at this point.  Breathless.  True.  Inevitable.  The
entire audience was stunned to silence--it took us a second to remember
where we were and clap...!

Encore 2:
Rhapsodie ~ her voice was a little shot...but they had a great time.  She
turned to him while singing...

God, it was a transcendent experience.

Ever,
Ana Maria