Re: greetings from the desert

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Nathan Swartzendruber wrote:

> The photos of Windhoek, I think. Kenya was a British realm, and their
> influence is definitely felt in local customs. So many mixed feelings
> accompany that relationship. I wonder if it's America's relationship
> with racism that makes me so unforgiving towards African colonialism. My
> gut reaction just to the word "Afrikaans" is apartheid, for reasons I
> can't directly point to. Yet I've met Afrikaaners who were good folks
> and taught some Namibian kids at RVA, so it's not like I'm lacking
> evidence to the contrary. Very strange...

probly

i dont' think many peopl ein their right mind, would like to be associated
with racism and all its nastiness.

by the same token we all have our prejudices.

the pictures my lil sis brought back from the slums in kenya put to the
lie that everything is clean and pretty in kenya.

> >You haven't seen the backroads pictures, have you?  :-) I am loving the
> >desert of Namibia.

i love the desert. it has a spare beauty in which everything stretches
bigger in pallette and scope.

> I saw the ones you posted, yes. :) Actually I have a couple Kenyan
> pictures with me, one of a road that I remember being absolutely brutal.
> It doesn't look like tarmac, but it doesn't give it justice, either.
> Sitting in the back of the little matatu-van didn't help. Here's a quick
> scan:  http://www.geocities.com/thatnath/pics.html

that doesn't look as bad as some of the back 'road' in idaho, and montana.

there were 'potholes' that were 12in or more deep.

talk about rough. in the middle of the night - we drove down one, and met
a coyote or few hanging out with the kill.... strange night.

back roads have their own, rewards (:

rhys

--
I've already got a penguin, Thanks.