Re: greetings from the desert

> > Was that brickwork in the sidewalk?
>
>Could be.  Which picture do you mean?

The photos of Windhoek, I think. Kenya was a British realm, and their
influence is definitely felt in local customs. So many mixed feelings
accompany that relationship. I wonder if it's America's relationship with
racism that makes me so unforgiving towards African colonialism. My gut
reaction just to the word "Afrikaans" is apartheid, for reasons I can't
directly point to. Yet I've met Afrikaaners who were good folks and taught
some Namibian kids at RVA, so it's not like I'm lacking evidence to the
contrary. Very strange...

> > Even the dirt roads look nice and smooth. :)
>
>You haven't seen the backroads pictures, have you?  :-) I am loving the
>desert
>of Namibia.

I saw the ones you posted, yes. :) Actually I have a couple Kenyan pictures
with me, one of a road that I remember being absolutely brutal. It doesn't
look like tarmac, but it doesn't give it justice, either. Sitting in the
back of the little matatu-van didn't help. Here's a quick scan:
http://www.geocities.com/thatnath/pics.html

> > Let alone all the things you're actually there for. How many degrees
>would I
> > need?
>
>But if you wanted to do this sort of thing, go to grad
>school for physics or astronomy and attach yourself to a project that is
>putting up equipment in remote places.  :-)

I think I'm too much a writer to throw myself into much else. Perhaps an
English/Astronomy route, then.

Nathan