This Is How A Road Gets Made..

MichaelWhoIsGoingToGetSchooledInTheWaysOfDuran^2Cade wrote:

>I have never really gotten into Duran Duran but always think of Bruce and
>the list when I hear a mention, so I had to share.  When they talked about
>DD song, the words to describe DD they flashed on the screen in big letters
>were "GOOD LOOKS" and "FASHION SENSE".  Not words I would normally use to
>describe the impact a band/song made on the music scene.  I had to chuckle.

Bowie did it first, then Roxy, then Duran..  Made great music and made it
while looking good..  It's always been their curse to be not so bad looking,
and semi-exploited in their first videos..  If ya listen to a lot of their
electroclash style (even mix of synth, guitar, bass, percussion and vocals)
they'd used in the 80s, it sounds considerably less dated than the other
stuff that came from the same period.

Duran Duran along with EMI just released a 13 disc singles box set from
their early years (81-85) that is getting great reviews.  I'm getting my
ticket on Friday for their third US concert with the original members since
Live Aid (18 years!) and the new album they have recorded has been getting
craploads of industry buzz.

The thing with their songs is that they really are just some guys that
picked up some instruments and coulud write great pop song after great pop
song..  In their over 30 single releases as a band (not counting solo or
offshoot projects), it's hard to find much crap in there.  And the same is
true of their album tracks AND their b-sides!  It was just fashionable not
to like them, 'cos they looked like they were having fun all along the way.

Michael, email me your address and I'll mail away a Duran CD compilation of
some of my favorite tracks, see what ya think.  If any of the rest of you
are in the same boat, send me your address too.  As long as I don't get 50+
requests for CDs or anything, I should be able to do it.

Don't ask me to bleed about it, I need this blood to survive,