Re: Ghosts and physcis and stuff

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Aaron Edwards wrote:
> What do you mena ghosts don't exist? Can you prove that they don't?

Generally speaking, the burden of proof is on the one who makes the
assertion, and the default position is one of unbelief.

Thus, the burden of proof is not on those who don't believe in the
existence of ghosts or in any particular theory about them, but on those
who do have a particular set of beliefs about ghosts.

If the default position was ever one of belief, then the next obvious
question would be, *which* set of beliefs is our default position?  And
why?  Considering we all start life believing nothing, that is.

> However, it is interesting how many things western society tends to poo
> poo because we cannot scientifically or mathmaticly prove it.

True, epistemological humility and an awareness of the limitations of our
knowledge are good things.  :)

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee