Evanescence / Christian Band thing

OK, I thought this was interesting from Billboard online today:

quote:
. Evanescence Set Pulled From Christian Distribution
. Provident Music Distribution, the Christian distribution arm of
. Zomba, says it will no longer handle Wind-Up Records act Evanescence
. for the Christian retail market, Billboard Bulletin reports. The move
. follows published reports in which the band used profanity and made
. clear that it does not want to be known as a Christian act.
.
. Don Noes, senior VP of Provident -- which had been distributing
. Evanescence's debut album, "Fallen" -- has issued a letter to its
. accounts saying Wind-Up has recalled the band's product from
. Christian retail. Noes tells accounts they can return Evanescence
. product for full credit.
.
. Evanescence member Ben Moody was quoted recently in Entertainment
. Weekly as saying, "We're actually high on the Christian charts, and
. I'm like, What the f*** are we even doing there?"
.
. "Fallen" is No. 1 on this week's Top Contemporary Christian Albums
. chart and No. 9 on The Billboard 200, while the single "Bring Me To
. Life" featuring Paul McCoy is No. 2 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks
. airplay chart. Material by Evanescence will be removed from
. subsequent Christian charts.
.
. In a letter to Provident, Wind-Up chairman/CEO Alan Meltzer
. apologizes for "an unfortunate and embarrassing situation" and vows
. that in the future, the label will scrutinize "Christian artists'
. beliefs and commitment with even greater diligence."
.
. - Deborah Evans Price, Nashville

I actually read the Entertainment Weekly article mentioned and thought their
Christian labeled days were numbered..

So, what do y'all think?  With the corrolary with OtR "Are They A Christian
Band Or Not"?  It was weird the first time seeing OtR in Chicago - it was
packed, we were baffled that anyone there knew 'em. So I asked someone and
he said he had seen them at this Christian Festival and we chuckled heartily
thinking they had the wrong band. Huh.

It seems weird that a band that was #1 on a particular chart one week is
ineligible for it the next due to some "cursing" in an interview and a want
to be disassociated with a genre. If Snoop Dogg had the #1 rap record one
week and then was quoted in RS or Vibe saying, "I'm actually high on the rap
charts, and I'm like, What the f*** am I even doing there?" would he not be
allowed on the chart the next week? Did the music itself, the CD, change??

Hmmm...

Still my favorite loser,