inklings (was: cclit)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, kevin j hopp wrote:

> > > Charles Williams - another from the Tolkein/Lewis set. Imagine if
> > > C.S. Lewis wrote horror fiction.
> >
> > Actually, isn't Lewis's _That Hideous Strength_ widely seen as Lewis's
> > attempt to emulate Williams's kind of storytelling
>
> ding ding ding
> you are correct sir
> Williams Aurthurian mythology I hear is close to THS's.
> there's even been mention that he refashioned Ransom after Williams.

Really?  I thought Ransom was originally based on Tolkien, being a
languages guy etc.  (The character was introduced in _Out of the Silent
Planet_, which Lewis wrote as part of a deal with Tolkien -- Lewis would
write a space-travel sci-fi book, and Tolkien would write a time-travel
sci-fi book; alas, I don't think Tolkien ever finished his book.)

> He brought Tolkien into it to with a mention of the fall of *Numinor*

Yup.  I think there may be a Tolkien reference in the Narnia books, too.

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee