Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V5 #85

In a message dated 4/2/03 4:23:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

It looks like the only conflict is the Prayer Chain conflicting with OtR's
Gallery show.  I've never really heard their music...any attempts at
definitions or suggestions on an album to try out?

The Prayer Chain's final c.d., Mercury, reminded me of a hybrid between My Bloody Valentine and early Pink Floyd, with a few subtle Cure (maybe even a touch of the more artistic songs on Pearl Jams "10" as well) influences as well.  It was written and recorded as the band was self-destructing, which is actually it's biggest strength.  It's powerful, bold, and honest.  I've heard that the original mix, actually, was far more atonal and noisy but that they had to tone it down before they could get anyone to release it.