Calvin Acoustic Music review

So I went to this Acoustic evening dealie at Calvin, the
culmination of the two-day festival of faith and music which has
taken over my life this weekend.  I have so many things to share,
I think I'll title the sections in all caps so you can skip the
parts you don't care about easily.

TONIGHT"S SHOW
The whole show was great, for different reasons depending on the
artist.  Daniel Smith of Danielson Familie was ridiculous and
fun.  Jan Krist was wonderful.  David Bazan of Pedro the Lion was
great in the way that he is.  And the other musicians were
remarkable too.
Over the Rhine closed the show with a 4 song set plus one encore.
Set list:
New Song (Jesus and Mary?)
When I Go
The World Can Wait
Latter Days
***
encore: new song (some war references, it was Karin solo on piano
and it was VERY nice.  I don't remember reading about it before)

They were great and the music was great, and I came out saying
"oh, yeah, that's why they're my favorite band in the whole wide
world"

KARIN AND LINFORD'S WORKSHOP

I also attended the workshop this afternoon with them.  They
talked and answered questions for about 90 minutes.  They were
fun and thoughtful.  They said that they don't do a lot of
talking about their work, because there's not really a built in
system to do that.  They told us two of the working titles for
the new album, the first is a line out of an Anne Lamott novel
(Blue Shoe -- I read it this winter - reccomended.) "a little
kickass beauty before we die".  The second was from a woman who
lives at the same nursing home as Karin's mother "Only God Can
Save Us Now".  Karin and Linford were poingnant and funny when
talking about the nursing home.  I didn't write down much, but I
remember that it was good.  Perhaps it will make it onto the DVD.

SOME COMMENTS ON DAVID BAZAN (of Pedro the Lion)

so Barry and I had a discussion mostly off-list once about what
David Bazan might be like as a person, since I had seen him live
about 2 years ago and Barry only knew his recordings which are
rather dark.  So today I saw him perform about 5 songs and heard
him give a workshop discussion thing, and also, last night he sat
behind me at the concert (and I wanted to say something to him,
but I couldn't think of anything to say.)  Anyway, from this
experience of him, I can say that he's not like a totally
depressing and depressed guy, he gets excited about some things,
in a sort of low-key way.  He has a very dry wit, and its often
self-depreciating.  He does, in fact, smile on occasion.  But he
seems really serious about God and about Art and about telling
the truth.  And I respect him for that.

SOME THOUGHTS ON DAVID DARK

I also heard David Dark speak about his book Everyday Apocalypse.
I had read a few of his articles, and had been impressed by how
intelligent and thoughtful he seemed.  I also was automatically
impressed with him since he's married to a musician I've loved
since I was 12 years old, Sarah Masen.
I listened to what he had to say about apocalyptic being about
reminding us that the days of those in power now are numbered.
Other things will be important in the future.  I don't know how
to communicate how excited I am about his ideas besides just
saying that I'm really excited about his ideas, and I plan to
read the book.

I think that's all I have to share just now.  And as if today
wasn't musically exciting enough, I got the new Derek Webb cd in
the mail today too.  And I listened to the editors of Paste
Magazine who seem pretty cool.  And I got a free Paste.  yay.

Bethany

np: Derek Webb, She Must and Shall Go Free