Re: Burritoes in Over the Rhine

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Paul Soupiset wrote:

> rhys,
>
> well-put... i guess i do touch down for a millisecond on the [g] -- but
> it's that gringo tendency to trip over the hard [g] that gets me. by
> glossing over it altogether, wouldn't you agree you get the same general
> 'effect' as a hispanohablante saying <<guacamole>> the right way --
> because you're not lingering on the [g]... It that glottal thing that
> grates against me.

mmm you're right. i don't hard 'g' as in an english way, but a glottal way
(:

it's like breathing and talking, with our tongue laid down. o, i can't
explain!

> seems like your definition for taco/taquito is more narrow that what I
> grew up with. Please ask your relatives when they started calling it a
> burrito.

a joke. it started as a joke, so the old ladies would say. burros carry
stuff. burritoes are filled with stuff. that's about as clear as we ever
get. and it takes too long to delineate between old old language and
today-alive idomatics. it's as if on english is allowed to morph into
useability with words like 'cool' and 'bad' but to my padrino it's a
horrible thing. but it did become a staple in mexican american cuisine -
which is notably different in some ways than regular old mejican stuff.
(availalbility of dairy stuff for one)

--- "The burrito, meaning literally little burro or donkey, became
irreversibly linked to the tortilla-rolled packages. Burrito lovers David
Thomsen and Derek Wilson believe that the modern burrito originated "in
the dusty borderlands between Tucson and Los Angeles." The word burrito
first saw print in America in 1934. It was sold at Los Angeles's famed El
Cholo Spanish Cafe during the 1930s. Burritos entered Mexican-American
cuisine in other parts of the Southwest around the 1950s and went
nationwide a decade later." ---

> Curious. Is your clear green sauce a tomatillo sauce ('verde sauce')? or
> what? send some to me.

tomatillo with hot hot peppers added - the ones with seeds (:

> p.s.  what part of mexico are your parents from?

just my mam's parents

jalisco, michoacan, and guadalajar.

risita.