RE: Over-The-Rhine Digest V5 #29

> --- Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
> > Who remembers where they were the last time?

Working lunch in the back kitchen of a restaurant, chopping veggies and
washing dishes. I was big into college radio, so I didn't hear about it
until the DJ on-air at WUNH at that moment came on the air sounding like
someone had pointed a pistol at his head making him read the news. Even so,
it hurt then, mostly because it was the first attempt to send a civilian
into space...and it failed in such a dramatic fashion.... I was living in
New Hampshire when it happened to a fellow New Hampshire person, so it was
extra hard to swallow....

Oddly, when I heard the news this past weekend......I don't know what's
wrong with me, but it didn't strike me with the same magnitude. It was as if
it was bad news, but not worth all the attention it's getting now. I tried
to figure out why, and I think it has to do with any and all of these:
1) unlike the 1986 disaster, there was no civilian on the Columbia team. Not
to my knowledge anyway....
2) Sept 11, 2001 seemed like a bigger tragedy, and was still painful to
remember
3) unlike '86, this team made it into space, so in a weird way, they had
more success

I'm not saying that based on all of this, that this is not a tragedy. I'm
still trying to fathom why I think it's not as big a tragedy as it's made
out to be. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks so.....

Back to lurking, whatever you say,
Scott