First light

Hey,

We took our first pictures of stars with our telescope tonight!  Woo hoo!  The
mount works, the camera works, and the system works.  There are still lots of
odds and ends to fix, but the basic system is in good shape, and I've got
another week to work on it before I go home.  Two and a half years of work
(for me, anyway, more for some on the project; less for others) are finally
coming to fruition.

The sky out here in West Texas is gorgeous; I even saw the Zodiacal light for
the first time.  I've been to busy to do more than glance at the list lately.
I was going to say something about Paul Hardcastle (na-na-na-na-nineteen) and
Falco (dreh di' ni' um, uh-oh, der Kommisar geht um, uh-uh-oh), but I'm *so*
far behind in whatever the heck you people are talking about these days, you're
proably way past that now.  :-)

But I was so excited about having a working telescope; I had to tell you
all about it.  :-)

Have a good weekend!
--
Don Smith                           Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                                 http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/