Re: the guru of sex

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 OncleBoo at aol_com wrote:
> Mr. Lachey writes:

> > Melanie from CA worked on it and by all accounts the film is/was
> > wretched.

I saw it last night, and yeah, it is.  Among other things, it is an odd
attempt to celebrate Bollywood culture (which has been making inroads into
mainstream pop culture lately through films like _Moulin Rouge_, _Ghost
World_, _Monsoon Wedding_ and _Bollywood/Hollywood_) while, at the same
time, championing the triumph of American pop culture over the pop culture
of other nations.  In a nutshell, the film basically seems to be saying
there is no real difference between _Grease_ and a typical Bollywood
flick, but rather than say that we North Americans might want to take a
look at another culture's films, the film seems to be saying that Indians
might just as well watch _Grease_ like the rest of the planet does.

The film's pretty lame, as is its half-baked look at sexual spirituality
(or is that spiritual sexuality?), but I *did* like the line where a
talent agent tells the "guru" that he can make a star out of him because,
well, God is big these days, and "I want to be in bed with God."

> > Marisa Tomei is in it too..  It's been on the shelf for over a year..

Ah.  Then I take back what I thought during Marisa's big underwear scene
(which was, basically, "She went from _In the Bedroom_ to *this*!?).

> > I think in December of 2000 I had dinner with Melanie and Steve 100 or
> > so yards away from a screening of it in Santa Monica..
> >
> > It's...  GREAT that it's being previewed again!!

Heh, well, I saw Heather Graham promoting the show on Leno a couple nights
ago, so I guess it's finally coming out now.

> Yeah, but Melanie's got some fun stories about Ms. Graham and Ms. Tomei,
> as I recall...  :)

And I wanna hear 'em!  :)  Are any of 'em in the archives, perchance?

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell