Re: Good Dog Bad Dog classic album

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, not kylie wrote:

> John wrote:
> Stuff like this: "I've not said much yet about the
> >lyrics. They are literate; "All I Need Is Everything," for example, has a
> >higher BAPM (Biblical allusions per minute) count than even most U2 songs."
>
> Whaaaaat? does that have to do with anything? (BAPM)

it means that the lyrics have a deeper meaning? dunno  - stretching.

> >I wonder if the writer has thought more deeply about the ongoing
> >undercurrent of doubt that is in GDBD, esp. in songs like "Happy To Be
> >So"  - the whole entire point of the song is that prayers aren't
> >answered, and the song's character has to come to terms with that (see
> >"I Radio Heaven"  for another example of that).

i think it's more that the signals are not clear, that there is not  a
book written somewhere that has your specific answers written down for you
to read at your leisure.

> John... you've taken the words rite out of my mouth. And I think the
> line mentioned, "Like a game of Red Rover..." is one of my least
> favourite lines from any OtR song. I was just a little bored with this
> review... anything Over the Rhine always has my attention... but this
> one didn't.
>

> >"Latter Days" is *not* a reference to, as the article's author
> >suggests, the "last days" (for you not-Christian folks, that's a
> >popular evangelical terminalogy for the End of the World As We Know
> >It).

why can't it be? why can't it be whate ver the reviewer gets from it?
there's not a necessarily set 'meaning' to a son. someone who comes from a
different walk of life hears something different. which is a good
definition o good lyrics/art. appeals to the masses, yet also stretches
beyond what they like.

> I've never once thought 'Latter Days' was written about the end of the
> world... I'm a Christian... but that has never entered my mind. Strange.

and you don't have to. why is there this sudden outpouring of 'that's too
christian, so it must be wrong'?

i bet someone who is satanic could listen to this and expoound on dark
mass and other rituals. or someone from a chinese background could perhaps
note that there is a strong use of colour, and the meanings found therein.

it seesms like what's gettinge veryone (an di could be wrong, staying up
witha  friend who's having a baby will fry your brain any day) is that one
little paragraph

afterw hich, she goes on to note out of focusness and how the CD as a
whole is a good piece of art. ok, so it's a little effusive, myustical
midwest is an interesting term. but it seems like an honest attempt to
look at something.

it's not like she went on and on about how this was good, since it had
christianity in it - i tseems like it was an after though, an 'o yea, i
noticed this too' which made it a little more complete.

and i don't think there's anythign wrong with trying to look at pop
culture, or anything else and evaluating it against your own life and
trying to see what's good ot keep or not.

we do it every day. which is why some of you have deiced swearing is ok,
or saying 'how are you as a greeting instead of a question. it's just
facets of popculture that did not clash too hard with your world view.

i do it all the time. i think about how casual life is viewed maybe in one
culture and think bout whether i likfe that. i look at how valued mothers
are in mexico (my mom is mexican) and decide i like that, and keep it.

> Oh, and why would there be a *new* review on GDBD? Confusing.

new review means - someone a: just saw the article, never aw it before or
b: the reviewer just heard GDBD, and decided to review it.

i could do a 'new review on ET if iever get around to seeing it

blast me kindly, i'm sure my thoughts are ill-formed, as my feet are cold
and the rest of me is sleepy

rhys

--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.