favorite from 2002

hey john,

i liked a lot of your mentions from 2002--wilco,
coldplay especially!

as for "down the old plank road" (chieftans et
al.)--good news!  they recorded enough for two albums
so in march there will be another (emmylou harris is
on it--nitty gritty dirt band might be too, iirc)

my favorite from this year, though, was nickel creek's
"this side."  it's beautiful and extremely innovative.
 for you all who don't enjoy traditonal music: you
might really enjoy this one.  when i heard them in
concert, in the middle of a couple of songs, you'd
hear bits of nirvana, the mario brother's theme song,
radiohead, weezer etc.  they do a great rendition of
the beatles' "tax man."  they change up their songs
with jazz etc.  and when you see what they listen to
and read, it's a great comfort!  makes me so happy to
see that they're exposing themselves to so many
different things--it means, as a fan, i can look
forward to even more space for innovation and growth.
and goodness, they're from 21-25 yrs old.  wow.  they
even did pavements "spit on a stranger" (track 2) for
the cd.

hey dan, they like j5! :)

take care,
j. marie

=====
But now, like a whispering in dark streets,
rumors of God run through your dark blood.
-Rainer Maria Rilke (The Book of Hours; I, 38)