Re: anyone out there from london???-sorry..no otr content

In a message dated 1/7/2003 5:09:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TYoder at sschwab_com writes:

> my husband & i are planning a trip to ireland in june. we want to spend a
>  day or two in london...and  we understand it is cheaper to fly to london
>  than to dublin...and can be very cheap to fly from london to ireland.  but
>  the travel agent we spoke to is no help at all in this matter.  is there
>  anyone who can point me in the right direction?

Oh, Twila! Don't miss Scotland!!!

May I suggest taking the train from London to Edinburgh, spending a night in
a lovely little b+b in Port of Leith (I can recommend one) and then
choo-chooing onward to Glasgow for a day or two, and then hopping another
train down the coast to Stranraer, where you can catch the ferry over to
Belfast (it's like a cruise ship, and Belfast is really an interesting town;
the Ulster Museum is not to be missed), and then another train down the Irish
coast into Dublin?

Trains are so much nicer than flying, very much on time, very relaxing, the
scenery is just stunning...  and a BritRail pass will work until you hit
Northern Ireland, and from there it's not 'spensive 't'all  ;)

.... yeah, I know... probably not at all what you have in mind, and I didn't
get to see much of the traditional stuff out in the countrysides, but oh, it
was so fun; I recommend it to everyone.  :)

Can't help with airfare ideas, sorry... the only part of that whole journey
that got screwy was trying to get from Dublin back to London to fly home to
Baltimore.  Wound up missing the connection and flying from Dublin direct to
NYC via Aer Lingus instead.  (Don't even ASK what happened trying to get from
NYC to Baltimore... GAH!)

If you need hotel ideas in London or Dublin, though, let me know and I'll see
what I can dig up about the places I stayed (the one in Temple Bar in Dublin
was terrific...)

Sorry I can't be more helpful... but have a wonderful wonderful time and take
lots of pictures!
Anita