Re: TTT

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 johnd at antioch-college_edu wrote:
> Any woman who can outride Nazgul and then call down big rushing floods
> on them, washing them away should be able to date whomever she pleases
> in my book. But more to the point - I just have never seen the elves as
> having that kind of parent/child relationship.

Hmmm, my sister recently started re-reading the trilogy, and she remarked
that there was something odd (though she liked its old-fashionedness)
about the way the Elrond of the book talks about whether or not he will
"give" his daughter to a mortal man.  Quite a contrast with Arwen's claim,
in the film, that she can give her heart to whoever she wants.

> > My only complaints are the way they only portrayed one side of
> > Faramir's character (and distorted it at that), and that they sent
> > Elves to Helm's Deep.
>
> I did not like those aspects either.

The elves at Helm's Deep don't bother me at all.  But I agree that the
film's treatment of Faramir is more, um, arbitrary and/or contrived -- and
I say this strictly in terms of how that section of the film works on a
cinematic level, since I have not read the books in over 20 years.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell